So what exactly is the difference between SecureCustomProperties and
CustomActionData?  I still do not fully understand this.

We have a public property that holds a string that we write to the registry
in certain cases.  Is is held in the Property table.  Let's say it contains
8.1.2.3 and is called OURVERSION.

I have a little widget that runs near the end of the install that tests the
condition for the registry edit and edits accordingly.  I used a Set
Property custom action sequenced in the Immediate Sequence to set the above
mentioned property to something like PASSDATAACTION.

Then, in the Deferrec Sequence action, I reference CustomActionData that now
holds the value I passed.  All seems to work OK here.

I then thought, lets add the original property, OURVERSION, to
SecureCustomProperties and just reference that directly as a parameter in my
Deferred action, guess what.  This works too.

So, I'm unclear as to the true purpose of each.

I know this really is off WiX topic, but I've gotten great help here before
so any now is greatly appreciated.  The scenario described above may not be
exactly what is going on, but just to give an example.

Thanks in advance for any help!!