From: Peter Shirtcliffe <pshirtcli...@sdl.com>
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Tue, October 5, 2010 4:11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Patching with WiX

This is the same situation as we have here.

It's preferable, if you can to carry the build through to completion to produce
a new, updated MSI as though you were going to do a major upgrade. Then perform
an admin install of that and add Ref elements into the Family element to choose
which parts of it to include in the patch.

If you cant do that and have to duplicate the source admin install and drop
files into it, then you will have more work to do. The relevant tables in the
updated MSI have to be updated. I used a VBScript for this. The product version
needs updating and a PropertyRef adding too. You wont need to create a new
package code for making the patch.
Updating a versioned file just requires changes to the File table.
Updating a non-versioned file means generating and updating the MSI file hash
too.
Adding a new file means you have to create a File, Component,
Then theres the possibility you might be registering the file for COM, GAC, etc

We only had a few files when doing that so it was manageable but it can become
lot of work, hence my recommendation to do the build work, which is less error
prone.

Once the target has been prepared, you run torch and pyro to make the patch.

If youve any more specific questions then feel free to ask. I could probably
send you my wix, vbscript and msbuild scripts, which are simple enough.
Most of my information comes from Peters blog, this list and trial and error.
The comments section on the blog contains useful info too.