From: Andy Clugston [mailto:clug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:26 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Best Practices - Using "*" for GUID automation

Mike,

Thanks again for the reply.

I have added <RemoveExistingProducts Before="InstallInitialize"/> and it
works as you stated. Actually, WiX disallows both "After" and "Before" in
the same element.

I understand the rollback scenario now as well. Thanks for the
clarification.

Going forward... since we have an infrastructure in place, we have "common"
WiX pieces used by all products as well as product-specific WiX pieces. Is
it safe to leave the above RemoveExistingProducts in the common, and
override this at some point at the product level? I'm not sure if WiX allows
this. The "override" product-specific RemoveExistingProducts element would
be added after common element. Will two entries be added to the MSI
database, or will the last one specified overwrite the first?

Thanks,
Andy