From: Umeshj [mailto:umesh_jogle...@hotmail.com]
Sent: 18 November 2010 07:21
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to refer WIX properties within .wxs files

I have a similar problem. However, this solution does not seem to work
for me.

I am trying to install an application to
c:\PlatformSpecificProgramFilesFolder\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]

Here is the relevant directory structure

   <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="$(var.PlatformProgramFilesFolder)">
        <Directory Id="ManufacturerDir" Name ="[Manufacturer]">
                 <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="[ProductName]" >
                 </Directory>
        </Directory>
     </Directory>
  </Directory>

Since the 'Name' attribute is not a formatted field I have defined
following custom actions

  <CustomAction Id="SetManufacturerDirectory"
Directory="ManufacturerDir"
Value="[Manufacturer]" />
  <CustomAction Id="SetProductNameDirectory" Directory="INSTALLLOCATION"
Value="[ProductName]" />

I have tried to schedule these Before CostFinalize but I get a message
to schedule it elsewhere as there are other custom actions so sequence
numbers immediately before or after CostFinalize are not available. I
therefore scheduled them with explicit sequence number after looking at
MSI in ORCA.

I am scheduling these in UI sequence because I need to show the
directory to the user in the dialog as the features are in the
configurable directory allowing the user to choose another install
directory.

<InstallUISequence>
  <Custom Action="SetManufacturerDirectory" Sequence="1005"  />

  <Custom Action="SetProductNameDirectory" Sequence="1006" /> ...
  <Show Dialog="WelcomeForm" Sequence="1007">Installed="" AND NOT
RESUME</Show> ...
</InstallUISequence>

However, this does not work and on XP the path resolves to c:\Program
Files\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]

Thanks

Umesh