That's Strange,  I received the initial post as if it came from the mailing
list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Petersen [mailto:chad.peter...@harlandfs.com]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 11:01 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How do you fix this error? (id is too long, 72
characters max)

Did you know that your original post on December 6th didn't make it to the
mailing list? It's only in the reply to your own e-mail on the 9th that made it
so others could see your initial inquiry from the 6th. Just thought you might
find that interesting because you'd mentioned silence on the issue initially,
but there were no prior posts from you on the 6th that appeared here.

In the initial email from the 6th, which shows in your reply to that, you say
at the very end.

"It appears that this is the location of the error, it is in a generated file.

    <Fragment>
        <DirectoryRef
Id="Application.ManagementServer.Plugins.Authentication.Native.Client.Sy
mbols">
            <Component Id="cmp9B84874485F19E281EC2FD5E9346598B"
Guid="*">
                <File Id="fil2DDE6B792849542497AC6B90E52F6196"
Source="$(var.Application.ManagementServer.Plugins.Authentication.Native
.Client.TargetDir)\XPedient.Application.ManagementServer.Plugins.Authent
ication.Native.Client.pdb" />
            </Component>
        </DirectoryRef>
    </Fragment>
"

What generates the file that contains this code? That's not compiler or linker
code. That's just straight up WiX code as "normally" written by a human. It
would seem so straight forward to fix as to be trivial, but apparently not.