> 1. Why is this being written to HKCU on server instead of HKLM?
> 2. Any idea where it picked up the
"Software\Classes\VirtualStore\Machine\Software" path?

It's File and registry virtualization in Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

> 3. How do I force it to write to the HKLM path, and something close to
the path name I provided to it?

How are you running your custom action? What is the CustomAction's
"Impersonate" attribute set to? I suspect the custom action doesn't have
access to HKLM.