From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@robmensching.com]
Sent: 15 December 2010 16:22
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Upgrade to wix 3.5 doesn't
honourtheprod...@codepage

A few things:

1. You are correct that, WixUI no longer supports codepage 0. Arguably
codepage 1252 is more correct since we just writing English and have not
done the work to ensure everything is ASCII. So this isn't a bug we'll
address in WiX v3.5 because we are in escrow and there is a work-around.
However, we've moved the bug to WiX v3.6 to reconsider how to build
neutral
MSIs.

2. It is not recommended to change your WiX toolset version for
patching.
Patching is pretty fragile and there could be sublte (or not so subtle)
changes in the output of the WiX toolset between versions that break
things.
#1 is a perfect example of one of those sublte changes. If you really
need
to do upgrade your WiX toolset after the product is released, test your
patches very closely. I could not anticipate the issues that might come
arise.
 3. You might be able to copy the en-us.wxl and change it's codepage to
"0"
and give it a different culture (i.e. "x-neutral") and pass that in. If
all
goes as I hope, your neutral .wxl will override the built in .wxl files
and
get the codepage right. That's probably better because you can also
ensure
your neutral.wxl file is pure ASCII.  (This *may* be the solution we
come up
with for v3.6).
 On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:09 AM, David Watson <dwat...@sdl.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We only use the UI extension to get the error messages and progress
> text, all our UI is external. We don't pick a culture at all, one is
> being chosen for us.
>
> We set prod...@language and prod...@codepage to 0 and link with
> -cultures:null.
>
> We were following the pattern of making language neutral MSIs
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/aa368057.aspx) in case we needed to
> localize later. This was working in Wix 3.0 but may have caused us
> issues if we did localize. Oddly we've never localized our
installations
> even though we are one of the world's largest translation companies, I
> suppose that's the benefit of selling to translators that almost
always
> know English.
>
> It now seems that there is no way to use the Wix UI strings and make a
> language neutral MSI even though the wixUI-en-us.wxl (which I assume
is
> the default) looks like it could be set to codepage 0 as there is only
> ascii in there. This will not really affect us as we have the
following
> work around so I don't know if it's an issue for anyone else.
>
> For our patch building process we will have to hack our compiled MSIs
> back to codepage 0 and will use 1252 as a base codepage in the future.
>
> Dave

Berkshire

http://RobMensching.com<http://robmensching.com/>LLC

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC