From: Rob Mensching <r...@robmensching.com>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Burn issue
To: chr...@deploymentengineering.com, "General discussion for Windows Installer
XML toolset." <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 1:26 AM

IMHO, the Visual Studio install is an absolute mess. I hope to get the
opportunity to really tackle some of the worst parts of the Visual Studio
install as part of my day job. The task is incredibly daunting so we'll see
what I'm allowed to do (and what the business prevents me from "fixing").

Instead of talking about Visual Studio, let's look at Office. I worked with K
on some of the early Office 2007 install design based on early thoughts of Burn
(remember, Burn as an idea has been around for years and years <sigh/>).

In a big Office product (like "Professional Plus") there are over 15 MSI
packages installed. You'll get something like 10 more MSI packages added for
each "language bundle". The initial install is a single experience that creates
a single entry in Add/Remove Programs. Remove the "Office 2010 Professional
Plus" ARP entry and all those MSIs (that you can't see) are removed. Repair and
patching works similarly seamlessly.

It's, IMHO, beautiful and that is what Burn is striving for.

Now, sometimes you should leave things behind. NETFX and CRT are two things
that are massively shared and have really bad repercussions if you prematurely
remove them so they probably deserve to have separate ARP entries (or maybe
they shouldn't so users never try to remove them, hmm).

However, most packages should be properly reference counted (something Burn is
not yet doing, the bug is open) and managed the way Office is.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Christopher Painter