Thanks for your reply!

Pally,
I did checked the verbose log, and SQLSERVER variable is having name of the
instance installed on system. But I need to populate a property with this
instancename, which I am not able to get.

Albert,
Yes I am checking the InstalledInstances in the registry as follows:
<Property Id="SQLSERVER">
<RegistrySearch Id="SQLServer" Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft
SQL Server" Type="raw" Name="InstalledInstances"/></Property>

But as I mentioned I am not able to get the value in a variable to display
in a dialog or do some action based on its value.

What I want to do is:
1. Check if SQLServer is installed on target system. If not then install
SQLExpress instance by the name of "MyProduct".

2. If SQLServer is already installed, get the instance name. IF the instance
name is same as "MyProduct" (created from previous version of my product),
then update the database for my application there.

3. If SQLServer is installed, but instance name is different then, install
new instance of SQLExpress by name of "MyProduct".

The reason of checking this is that I would like to create/update my
product's database in a dedicated instance.

Kindly advice if this is possible using WIX. Sincere thanks!!