Thanks so much for the suggestions guys :-)

I will definitly look at the dotNetInstaller bootstapper.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood:
I can still call this bootstrapper from my msi, which will install all the
prerequisites and once all is successful, my msi can resume with
installation of the application?

The reason for installing SQLExpress using .msi is that, I need to create a
setup that would take care of all the components needed for my application
without without much manual intervention.

many thanks!