On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Christopher Painter
<chr...@deploymentengineering.com> wrote:
> For #4, you are right, it is simple.  I can do it in one line of XML in WiX
> and
> let MSI handle the details.  For developers I can do it in 1 line of .BAT
> using
> the SC command.    And, no, your InstallUtil code will not be better.

Using batch files, adding yet another way of registering your
services? Which is exactly the solution I'm replacing. Why not use
srvany.exe while you're at it..?

Code duplication is frowned upon. Having service registration
information residing in batch files means you've done just that. Not
to mention that admins familiar with the '-i' command line switch have
to deal with your services in yet a different way.

Cristopher, I am not saying that "my" solution is the optimal. What I
am saying is that <ServiceInstall> does not fully satisfy the KISS
principle. Adding batchfiles to handle the other cases is a big clue
as to why it isn't satisfactory. Some improvements here would be most
helpful, at least to me!

It is useful with a unified way of registering an executable as a
service. _Currently_, the .Net platform offers the Installer
framework. It has its downsides as you point out, but... It is still
the lesser of the evils presented so far! A more metainfo-based
replacement could perhaps solve the remaining issues?

--
Rune