I've looked thru lots of google results trying to find out how to build a
setup.exe from a single wix generated msi file.

Visual Studio 2010 has a bootstrapper project but that looks like a work in
process, am I right?

Basically all I need my setup to do is to launch the msi and create a log
file as an elevated user.

The setup.exe should not have any gui

Is this something I can do with the wix toolset and automate it when I build
my msi from within Visual Studio?

Thanks.