Can you reference any source that justifies your thinking? If you can't then
you are only guessing and have not performed the appropriate level of due
diligence I would expect from any responsible engineer.

Upgrade Table - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372379.aspx
Upgrade Element - http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/wix_xsd_upgrade.htm
UpgradeVersion Element -
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/wix_xsd_upgradeversion.htm

None of those references mention anything about downgrades. Those references do
mention multiple times "product versions detected by FindRelatedProducts".

FindRelatedProducts Action -

"The FindRelatedProducts action runs through each record of the Upgrade table
in sequence and compares the upgrade code, product version, and language in
each row to products installed on the system. When FindRelatedProducts detects
a correspondence between the upgrade information and an installed product, it
appends the product code to the property specified in the ActionProperty column
of the UpgradeTable."

The property specified in the UpgradeVersion/@Property gets set when products
matching the conditions expressed by the UpgradeVersion element are met.

The ICE61 message is telling you what you need to do. If the ICE61 message does
not match your expectations then I would trust the ICE61 message and do what
it's telling you to do because it is trying to steer you into a correct
implementation.

The FindRelatedProducts action is responsible for finding installed products
matching the conditions specified by the Upgrade table setting one or more
properties when it finds matching installed products. You need to schedule
FindRelatedProducts for this search to occur otherwise nothing happens.
FindRelatedProducts will not uninstall any installed products it finds. That is
the job of the RemoveExistingProducts action.

To detect products that you want to upgrade you need to specify the minimum and
maximum versions you want to detect. You do not want to detect the version of
the current product because you don't want to "upgrade" yourself.

To detect newer products you'll need to have a second UpgradeVersion element
with a minimum version equal to your current version. This second
UpgradeVersion element will set a second property so you can determine that a
newer version is installed.

Here's some more information that my research assistant (Google) found for me:

How To: Implement a Major Upgrade In Your Installer -
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/major_upgrade.htm
WiX Script for Major Upgrades -
http://neilsleightholm.blogspot.com/2009/01/wix-script-for-major-upgrades.html
Major Upgrades Now Easier Than Ever -
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2010/01/16/major-upgrades-now-easier-than-ever/

I don't mind providing help but I get quite irritated when I'm translating
error and warning messages that are extremely clear. That tells me that the
other party is just not trying very hard to learn the domain or the tools.
Windows Installer is horribly complex and I understand that... but there is
actually a good amount of information out there if you just try to look for it.

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Electronic Banking Services
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail