What you are running into is UAC, Google it if you have not already.

You need Execute="deferred" custom actions with Impersonate="no". This will
allow your custom actions, and subsequent child processes that they create,
to inherit the local system privileges of the Windows Installer service.

There are some situations where deferred actions cannot be used (depending
on when the action is sequenced), but give this a try and see what you can
come up with.