You are not allowed to add a <ComponentGroupRef> tag under <Directory>, at
least in a merge module!
The project is within Visual studio, so the fragment file is used in candle and
light.

I did though write
<ComponentGroupRef Id=" FooFiles"/> under the <module> tag, and that seemed to
work.

I guess this was working within the <Product> tags when I was building an .msi,
since you reference the component group under the < Feature > tag.
BUT since you don't specify Features in merge modules, I didn't have the
component group referenced anywhere in the <module>
This was kind of misleading, and not documented anywhere, since I was expecting
candle or light to identify the link between the 2 files without having to add
the reference.
Or am I thinking the wrong way?

Thanks in advance,
Stel