> Running 32 bit apps in a 32 bit shell is a great idea, but it seems less than
> ideal
> that it excludes all possibility of viewing the registry as it "really" is.

My point is that the operating system provides a 32-bit view for 32-bit
applications since they only know of the 32-bit world. A 32-bit application can
never sense the existence of a 64-bit world.

In a 64-bit world there are 32-bit entities that live at C:\Program Files
(x86). When these 32-bit entities execute they believe they exist at C:\Program
Files. How can a 32-bit entity detect a 64-bit entity that lives in the 64-bit
C:\Program Files location?

The same is true about the 32-bit registry hive compared to the 64-bit registry
hive.

Perhaps you can write a 64-bit bootstrapper that can view both worlds and
disallow execution of the 32-bit msi package if the bootstrapper detects the
64-bit installation. Of course, this doesn't prevent a user from directly
executing the msi package. Your options are limited.

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail