From: Rune Moberg [mailto:jjfl...@gmail.com]
Sent: 07 April 2011 07:33
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] perUser vs perMachine and elevation (best practices?)

A potential customer informs us that they require installers to be
able to run without elevation.

I see two problems with this approach:
#1: Every user of a given PC will have to install the app separately
#2: ...so my potential "malware" will run no matter what, as long as
one of these users are logged in (i.e.: what is the point of the
requirement?)

(I am probably missing something)

The app in question attempts to share the same printer configuration
among all the users of a given PC. So we store the printer
configuration under %allusersprofile%. The installer will set write
permissions for that folder so that our users can freely modify this.
(not ideal, but the alternative seemed worse)

So, has anyone written a 'best practices' document on this topic? More
specifically I'd like to learn how to transform a perMachine setup
into a perUser setup (setting ALLUSERS="" was not enough).

I just realized I haven't tried to run a perSeat installer as admin
(and set ALLUSERS=1) -- would that be enough to ensure that shortcuts
are made available for all users?

--
Rune

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.