Hi,I'm having some trouble getting a password protected PFX certificate to
install through WiX.
I'm using WiX 3.5.2519.0.
I include a PFX file as follows:
<Binary Id="My.Binary"
SourceFile="$(var.ProjectDir)MyProject$(var.ConfigSuffix).pfx" />
The value of $(var.ConfigSuffix) varies based on solution configuration (e.g. "
(Debug)", " (Stage)"). For "Release", it is set to an empty string.
I have various solution configurations, all but one use a non-password
protected PFX certificate, "Release" uses a password protected PFX. I deal with
this by conditionally defining $(var.PfxPassword) in "Release" configuration
only, and then installing the certificate as follows:
<?ifdef $(var.PfxPassword) ?>        <iis:Certificate Id="My.Certificate"
StoreName="root" Overwrite="yes" Name="My Web Site$(var.ConfigSuffix)"
Request="no" BinaryKey="MyCertificate.Binary" StoreLocation="localMachine"
PFXPassword="$(var.PfxPassword)" /><?else?>        <iis:Certificate
Id="My.Certificate" StoreName="root" Overwrite="yes" Name="My Web
Site$(var.ConfigSuffix)" Request="no" BinaryKey="MyCertificate.Binary"
StoreLocation="localMachine" /><?endif?>
I have also tried replacing "$(var.PfxPassword)" with "[PFXPASSWORD]" (having
defined this elsewhere), and the actual password in plain text. In every case,
installation fails with the following log snippet:
Action start 12:29:02: InstallCertificates.InstallCertificates:  Error
0x80070056: Failed to open PFX file.InstallCertificates:  Error 0x80070056:
Failed to get SHA1 hash of certificate.InstallCertificates:  Error 0x80070056:
Failed to resolve certificate: LinnRecords.CertificateCustomAction
InstallCertificates returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100%
accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)Action ended 12:29:02:
InstallCertificates. Return value 3.
I believe error 0x80070056 indicates an incorrect password, however I have used
the Get-PfxCertificate in PowerShell
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347671.aspx) to verify that the
password I am using is correct.
For all configurations where the PFX file does not use a password, the
installation works without issue.
I am also having trouble finding any examples of the usage of PFXPassword
anywhere.
Help!
Kind regards, Jim.