I guess if there's been no issues in the past with VCRedist we can all safely
assume there will never be any issues in the future.

> IMHO this approach is worth mentioning it in case of the VCRedist:

IMHO this approach isn't worth mentioning because:

>- VCRedist.exe is an installer which never caused any trouble itself

See above.

>- No need doing bootstrapping for VCRedist.exe

merge modules are available negating the need for bootstrapping which is what
prompted this discussion in the first place.

>- With this implementation the VCRedist installer runs at a point
>where the user can run the installation unattended (for bootstrapper
>normally waiting until completion necessary - not considering Burn
>here as it is in beta)

See previous.

>- Most installs run in UI mode, otherwise also for InstallExecute a
>condition could be integrated. Same scenario must be considered when
>designing an installer with a bootstrapper

Again see previous.

>Cons:
>- Elevation necessary to get only one UAC prompt

Again see previous.

>If there exists a good bootstrapper for implementing it in a "chaining
>way" I think to re-implement it that way.

I haven't looked at Burn yet but dotnetinstaller works pretty much flawlessly
for this situation.

Until our software required .NET 2.0 Framework we quite happily used the VC++
8.0 merge modules in our MSI's. I still use them in one product as it's a
plug-in for a 3rd party app which requires .NET 2.0. I only switched to
bootstrapping the vcredist for our main application because I was already
having to bootstrap the .NET 2.0 Framework installer so I thought I may as well
leverage the functionality.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment Engineer
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No. SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park, Glasgow G20
0SP
Email Disclaimer

Yes I know the issues mentioned in MSDN about concurrent installers.
But for the VCRedist.exe there were no issues at our customers site
related to this implementation. For OpenOffice I mentioned it as it
was the first package where I saw other engineers doing the same
approach. I didn't want to state that this is the fact for concurrent
installations to be safe.

IMHO this approach is worth mentioning it in case of the VCRedist:
- VCRedist.exe is an installer which never caused any trouble itself
- No need doing bootstrapping for VCRedist.exe
- With this implementation the VCRedist installer runs at a point
where the user can run the installation unattended (for bootstrapper
normally waiting until completion necessary - not considering Burn
here as it is in beta)
- Most installs run in UI mode, otherwise also for InstallExecute a
condition could be integrated. Same scenario must be considered when
designing an installer with a bootstrapper

Cons:
- Elevation necessary to get only one UAC prompt

If there exists a good bootstrapper for implementing it in a "chaining
way" I think to re-implement it that way.

Regards
Tobias

PS: I know this approach is somehow quick-and-dirty and not MSDN
compliant ... but it does a good job ...