I am wondering if there is a way to get my major upgrade to behave like
repair - where properties are restored.

I have three properties that determine the install location of various
components. I was short sighted and only saved the INSTALLOCATION property
to the registry. Now when doing a major upgrade the reinstall uses the
default paths instead of the paths selected in the previous version of the
product. No shocking news there.

However a repair of the original install will use the paths the user
originally selected. I am wondering where this data is stored, and if it can
be accessed and used by a major upgrade? I was under the assumption this
data was not persisted, but now I am wondering how this is persisted for a
repair operation?

Thanks for any insight with this, I have painted myself into a corner pretty
good this time!

-Aaron