I keep getting the following MSI message when it attempts to load my .NET 4.0
custom action assemblies:

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly
My.CustomActions.WiX' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a
runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

I have found a number of suggestions like:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4548249/wix-installer-with-custom-actions-built-by-a-runtime-newer-than-the-currently-l
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3298304/wix-custom-actions-built-for-net-framework-4-0-does-not-work-ways-to-resolve
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/BadImageFormatException-Microsoft-Deployment-WindowsInstaller-RESOLVED-td5581525.html

All of my custom action assembles are built using the 4.0 framework and all
have configuration files like the following:
<startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0"
sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup></configuration>
I have tried a number of variants of that, including adding the
<startup  useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
but so far no luck, I keep getting the same error. I suspect that I must be
missing another step?

How are the application configuration files getting included with their related
assemblies for custom actions? I assumed it was handled with the msbuild
WixCATarget.. elements in the custom action project files, however, I am not so
sure about that as my project is failing to install :(.

I have been working on upgrading a project from a visual studio 2008/WIX 3.0 to
Visual Studio 2010 WIX 3.5. Currently everything builds, including the setup
project. The original WIX 3.0 project worked fine with the same custom actions,
the only difference being the target framework.

Based on most of the information I found, adding the configuration file seemed
to be all that was required?

I am using WIX version 3.5.2519.0.

Thanks for any suggestions..