Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the text file has been edited after the install. I build msi 1, install
it. I edit the text file, create msi 2, create msp from the two msi's and
run it (with REINSTALLMODE=vamus). File is not updated nor requested.
 I looked at your link and only found 2 parts. In both, the problem seemed
to have something to do with advertise, but "advertise" is not mentioned in
my patch log, so I don't think either article is relevant to my issue :(

Any more advice would be very appreciated.