Dear WiX Users and Developers,

Yesterday I started to use WiX. It seems to be an adequate choice to be the
official tool to create a Windows installer for GeoGebra, the free dynamic
mathematics software. (Earlier we used NSIS for that.)

WiX does a wonderful job, so I thank the developers for this great software!

Now I am about to create a multilingual installer. I learned that I need
some tweaks to do that. My main problem is that we would like to run WiX
from the Wine Windows emulator, because our packaging process runs
completely on Linux. Fortunately, the newest Wine (+winetricks for the .NET
Framework) can run WiX under Linux properly, so I was able to create a
perfect MSI file using WiX, under Linux.

Now I learned what I need to do is to create a multilanguage installer as
http://wix.tramontana.co.hu/tutorial/transforms/morphing-installersdescribes.
Unfortunately, running torch.exe under Wine gives the following
exception:

kovzol@kovzol-dell:~/workspace/geogebra/scripts/autobuild/windows/WiX$ wine
../wix35/torch.exe -p -t language GeoGebra.msi GeoGebra_hu-hu.msi -out
hu-hu.mst
fixme:sync:CreateMemoryResourceNotification (0) stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wconsole"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
Microsoft (R) Windows Installer Xml Transform Builder version 3.5.2519.0

fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:msi:MsiDatabaseGenerateTransformW 2 1
L"Z:\\home\\kovzol\\workspace\\geogebra\\scripts\\autobuild\\windows\\WiX\\hu-hu.mst"
0 0
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"wix.resources"
torch.exe : error TRCH0001 : Call not implemented

Exception Type: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception

Stack Trace:
   at
Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Msi.Database.GenerateTransform(Database
referenceDatabase, String transformFile)
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.BindTransform(Output
transform, String transformFile)
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.Bind(Output output, String
file)
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Torch.Run(String[] args)
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"torch.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"torch.resources"
Binder temporary directory located at 'C:\users\kovzol\Temp\swy7q6gd'.
Unbinder temporary directory located at 'C:\users\kovzol\Temp\swy7q6gd'.
Torch temporary directory located at 'C:\users\kovzol\Temp\wrh77ehg'.

I know that this is rather a Wine problem than a WiX bug, but probably one
of you have some kind of experience of running WiX under Wine. I am also
interested in compiling WiX against Mono (for Unix) as well. Is it possible?

If you like, you can read on how to run WiX under Linux/Wine at
http://www.geogebra.org/trac/wiki/CreateMSIonUnix. The autobuild machinery
is in developing phase yet, but anyone can check it out at
http://www.geogebra.org/trac/browser/trunk/geogebra/scripts/autobuild/windows/WiX
.

I also experienced that RTF files generated by LibreOffice 3.2 or latex2rtf,
are unable to work with WiX. Only Wordpad helped.

So, thank you the great work again, and thank for any help in advance!

Best regards,
Zoltan Kovacs
developer of the GeoGebra team