Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:51:43 -0700
From: Chad Petersen <chad.peter...@harlandfs.com>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Show Installer Log file
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
    <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

I'd suggest taking one step back. You mention a log file created in the temp
folder. Have you tried running your installer when the temp folder doesn't
exist or the TEMP variable isn't defined? If you are calling MSIEXEC /L*v and
wanting it to log to a TEMP folder I recommend you try it in these error
conditions. MSIEXEC.EXE won't create the folder you want to log to if it
doesn't exist. So, don't assume you will always be able to create a log file in
the TEMP folder. Your MSI will simply fail if it can't create the log file.

It will simply say

"Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specified log file
location exists and is writable."

You can't really assume that any folder exists. If you want to log reliably you
must ensure that the folder you want to use exists before running the
MSIEXEC.EXE command.

Just a word of caution. If I were to test what you are proposing on the surface
I could break it in an instant.