Oh thanks,
it was just an input error.
Damn.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Tobias S [mailto:tobias.s1...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Juli 2011 15:45
An: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Betreff: Re: [WiX-users] Problems with the environment variable

Interesting approach even checking against a environment property in a
LaunchCondition. Didn't know Windows Installer can do that by default
with using "%".

Actually the code sample gives me an
ICE03: Bad conditional string; Table: LaunchCondition, Column:
Condition, Key(s): [%testdir] <> ""

This I could fix with removing 2 brackets:
<Condition Message="Test must be set.">
      <![CDATA[%testdir <> ""]]>
    </Condition>

Afterwards the installer as expected. Runs when "set
testdir=c:\someTestDir" and aborts if launchCon is not fulfilled.

Regarding parent and child elements have a look at
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/wix_xsd_condition.htm