From: Castro, Edwin G. (Hillsboro) [mailto:edwin.cas...@fiserv.com]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 12:10 PM
To: Brown Boiler; General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Need foolproof way to change system path in WIX

The process executing the custom action needs to be restarted after the
environment variable is modified and before the custom action executes for the
new environment variable value to be visible to that process.

What process is executing the custom action? My gut says it's either the client
side or server side Windows Installer process and they are both busy installing
your MSI package. Sounds like such a change would need require a pre-install
"installer" to modify the environment variable...

Perhaps a better solution would be to statically link the code to the custom
action so that you don't need to load the library?

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X
7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within
the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
recept...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject
to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).