From: Bernie Schoch [mailto:bpsch...@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 August 2011 21:05
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] ICE57 errors on a per-machine install

I have a per-machine install.  I've separated the different file pieces into
different fragments/components and the shortcuts also as a separate
component.  I'm getting an

*Error 14 ICE57: Component 'CMP_MenuShortCuts' has both per-user data and a
keypath that can be either per-user or per-machine.*

I've gone around and around on this and can't seem to find an answer that
works searching google.  All I'm trying to do is install a package (that
includes drivers) and a gui front end with shortcuts for all users.  I'm
also trying to follow guide lines by keeping each separate part as a
component.  e.g. Files in one component and shortcuts in another.  I'm sure
I can't be the first one who is trying to do this.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernie

My package looks like this:

<Package Compressed="yes"

  InstallerVersion="301"

  Manufacturer="!(loc.ManufacturerName)"

  Description="!(loc.PackageDescription)"

  InstallScope="perMachine"

  InstallPrivileges="elevated"

  Platform="$(var.Platform)"/>

My shortcut fragement looks like this:

<DirectoryRef Id="ProgramMenuDir">

<Component Id="CMP_MenuShortCuts" Guid="506B7301-37F8-475B-9B04-xxxxxxxxx">

  <Shortcut Id="ProgramMenuEntry"

      Name="!(loc.ProductName)"

      Description="!(loc.ShortCutGuiDescription)"

      Target="[MyProgramDir]$(var.GuiCoreStateExe)" WorkingDirectory="
INSTALLDIR"

    <Icon Id="Icon.exe" SourceFile="
$(var.GuiBinDirectory)$(var.GuiCoreStateExe)" />

  </Shortcut>

  <RemoveFolder Id="RemoveShortCutDirectory" On="uninstall"/>

  <RegistryValue Root="HKMU" Key="
Software\$(var.ManufactureDirectory)\$(var.ProductNameDirectory)"

     Name="installed" Type="integer" Value="1" KeyPath="yes" />

</Component>

</DirectoryRef>

My Directory structure:

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

  <!-- Program files -->  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">

    <Directory Id="MyProgramDir" Name="$(var.ProductNameDirectory)" >

      <Directory Id="DriverFolder" Name="Drivers" />

    </Directory>

  </Directory>

  <!-- Start menu (shortcuts) -->

  <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder">

    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="$(var.ProductNameDirectory)"/>

  </Directory>

</Directory>
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.