So what is the correct usage of Localizable="no" as an attribute of String?
Are loc files not effectively just a string table, which are conveniently
localizable?

I too use localised version numbers, the reason being we release the same
software in different markets/countries under different names, some of which
started at version 1 relatively recently.  For example, our website creation
software was version 11 in the UK, but under a different name as version 4
in the Netherlands. To acheive this I used (in WiX 2) a different product
version in the Dutch (localized?) string table (1043.wxl).

Perhaps this error reported by candle could be moved to a warning, allowing
people like me to build despite the version info not complying with the
"x.x.x.x" convention?  Or add a new switch in the candle.exe call to allow
for this error to be ignored?