Well everyone out there seems to say minor upgrades are not desired.
Our software has weekly updates, as do many other professional
applications developed through the world.  I think we can all agree that
is normal behavior even though it is undesired.  Simply saying an app
should be designed so well that only releasing monthly patch updates or
major upgrades is with out a doubt a statement made from newbie
developers that do not produce high volumn professional, complex
applications.  OK with that said maybe I can start a fire under some of
your alls feet.   Minor upgrades are a major function of MSI which all
of us should be using.  First, requesting the user to re-select the
installation location is unacceptable.  Yes I agree all apps should be
installed in their proper locations.  But like the developers of Visual
Basic know, the customer is always right, you can't just drop the
language even through there is no point of it.  I have created plenty of
apps that install to the default location without user prompt but then I
get bombarded with support calls about specifying an alternate
location.  So for those customers I must allow overinstalls that
automatically re-install the previous options as they were previously
selected.  Next services require specific logon as credentials.  If a
major upgrade is deployed the service will be uninstalled losing the
user's credentials.  I can tell you this after talking with 1000s of IT
systems admins that most of them have no clue what their domain admin
username and password is when used to start windows services.  Again
asking the user to specify those credentials everytime a new build is
released is out of the question.  This means a minor upgrade is needed.
Well obviously msi is flawed.  Msiexe should be able to figure this out
and apply the proper actions.  But as we all know it does not.  So
instead we have to run bootstrappers just to fire the proper command.
Well I don't see a way to do this with burn.  Maybe there is but I don't
see a way.  Please tell me I am wrong and foolish.  I write this email
in hopes someone will step up and either admit Wix is not actually a
professional product ready for prime time or show me how and prove me an
idiot.  I am a licensed user of IS 2011 and their bootstrapper handles
all of this.  I am really bummed I got my MSI mostly done and it works
great.  Now I need to spend a just a few hours and convert it all to
IS.  I don't want to use their software.  Maybe in a few years burn will
get this figured out.

One other thing, burn doesn't run native 64-bit...haha that's funny.  I
think the stats say ~50% of all computers are now 64-bit.  Dev should
start on 64-bit then move backward these days.