(New subscriber, so please bear with me if this is explained in some location I
cannot find - I've ran several searches and lookthroughs of the mailing list.
Simply pass along a URL if that's appropriate.)

I'm trying to install a upgrade to an in-house developed service - this part
works quite well, in fact, too well:

If the files are in use, because the service is running RestartManager or
something of the sort seems to automatically kick in and the service is
successfully shutdown and restarted.

Instead, what I want to do is find a way to sort of "defer install" it so the
service can (effectively) upgrade itself. In our use, we need to do unattended
upgrades of a service in an environment where the user is not an administrator
(in fact, the service provides various escalated functions to our other
applications, including but not only front-ending installations of other
stuff). I seem to remember having read *somewhere* that this is possible, but
it was months ago before an upgrade and I fear I've lost the bookmark. (They'd
be downloading it and doing the installation off-network, if that matters:
these are *very* sporadically connected non-AD machines.)

One of the reasons to do the "install itself" is not only because the user will
not be able to do so anyway and also because it should be transparent to them,
but also because we want to do some of our own logging and moving of
installation packages to success or failure directories if the installation was
successfully set up "deferred" for installation. We do not care if the defer
delays the installation to after a restart so that our service is not running,
etc. when the installation happens: I seem to understand this is the way to go
anyway. (We will tell the user to restart manually when they are ready or delay
it until all our other maintenance and such is done and do it for them - at
present undecided.)

If it matters, the target platform is Vista SP 2 only (for now: it will never
be anything lower than this).

(BTW: Thanks to all the developers and documenters and so on for WiX - it is
proving to be quite useful for us!)

Keith Douglas
Statistics Canada | 170 Tunney's Pasture Driveway, Ottawa ON K1A 0T6
Statistique Canada | 170, promenade Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa ON K1A 0T6
keith.doug...@statcan.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-951-4405
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-951-1966