Merging threads; just ensuring my reply doesn't get lost. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Williams [mailto:iawil...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 11:15 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Globalized Bundle?

Hmm, I'm a bit confused here.

I'm under the impression that originally .wxl files were used for an MSI in
conjunction with a few options passed to light.exe (-cultures:ja-jp -loc <path
to ja-jp .wxl file>).  And what you get it a Japanese localized MSI (this is
all compiled into it).

You're saying that the WixStdBA will look for .wxl files at runtime - great!
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, that should avoid the
creation of an installer for each language. But I can't figure out the usage
pattern here. If I add things like !(loc.ProductName) to my bundle authoring,
light complains that the localization variable !(loc.ProductName) is unknown.
So at link time I have to point it to a particular .wxl file... and we're back
where we've started! I also tried pointing light to multiple .wxls for each
language I want but that doesn't seem to work either.

What the piece I'm missing here that allows runtime localization decisions?

As an aside, the most important thing for me really is to be able to choose the
WiXVariable "WixStdbaLicenseRtf" at runtime based off of the system language.
Not sure if even runtime loading of .wxls will accomplish this.