Ok, I have Paraffin working nicely now.  I initially used Heat.exe with the
-suid option so that my IDs have friendly names, then modified the
resulting wxs into Paraffin format.

When I run Paraffin however, the resulting .PARAFFIN file only contains the
default namespace declaration, and not the one I added to the intial wxs
file for the util extension:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
 *xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"*>

John, can you add a feature request to retain the original attributes on
the root element when creating the Paraffin file?

I may have a go myself since I have the source, but my C# is very rusty and
haven't used LINQ before!  Anybody come across this problem and have a
solution already?

Cheers,
Dan

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Dan Gough <goug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just tried again and the XmlFile tags are no longer being removed, must
> have made a mistake somewhere!  Also confirmed that test values for
> registry and service entries are left untouched also.
>
> Plodding on, wish me luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Dan Gough <goug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've got an initial fragment created and sussed out how to perform an
>> update.  However, some of my components have <XmlFile> entries, and these
>> get dropped when updating.  I tried putting these entries into
>> .paraffinmold files, but then if I want it associated with the original
>> component, I end up getting duplicate component entries which then produces
>> errors at compile time.
>>
>> I will eventually be adding registry and service information to some of
>> these components and am thinking Paraffin might strip these out also when
>> updating, can anybody confirm?
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice at this point on the best way forward.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, John Robbins <j...@wintellect.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*
>>>
>>> If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen
>>> of Paraffin to help you get started. (
>>> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx
>>> )
>>>
>>> As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me
>>> know and I'll get on them.
>>>
>>> John
>>> Wintellect