Hey,

I have a 3rd party executable to detect some hardware, and since it's a general
purpose exe, not detecting the hardware isn't a condition that has the exe
return a failure (I guess, to be expected and completely fair).

So, in order to determine whether the hardware I'm looking for is present on
the system, I need to be able to catch the output that this exe outputs to the
standard output stream, so I'm trying to create a C# custom action dll to run
the exe using System.Diagnostics.Process and redirect its output to a string
where I can parse it to look for certain values to ensure the hardware is
present and correctly configured.

My problem is that the tool isn't going to be present on the system prior to
installation, and actually isn't needed by the final product, only to determine
the hardware state of the machine to make a decision on what to install (which
will actually be one of two other msi files, but running multiple msi files is
a problem for another day), so it's not going to be installed with the rest of
the product.

So, I've used the Binary tag to embed the exe into the installer, and I can run
it directly via custom action, but how do I run it from a dll custom action?
Can I somehow access it and run it while embedded? Or do I need to write it out
to the temp folder, run it, and then delete it?

And then, I need to set a variable or property so the data will be passed back
to the installer from the dll custom action.

But running the embedded exe from a custom action is what's giving me issues
right now. Has anyone done anything like this before? I've tried googling for
most of the day but haven't found anything particularly useful.

-Naim