On 1/17/12 7:49 PM, Christopher Painter wrote:
> I find it more elegant to have the custom action only set a property and
> return.  Then on the remaining control events use the property in a
> condition to perform a SpawnDialog on a custom dialog that displayes the
> error message.  This way MSI continues to handle the UI.

Thank you for your suggestion, Christopher. I wish I wouldn't need to
deal with GUI. This particular code is for testing/debugging, and so
having this come out under the wizard window is OK.  But I would
eventually need to have a dialog to let user choose a file. Because the
stock custome controls don't include a file dialog, I think I need to
use scripting. Would there be any other way around that hopefully
doesn't involve writing a DLL?

I have another (hopefully the last) related question. After searching
the Internet, I came up with this VBScript

<CustomAction Id="AskLicense" Script="vbscript">
<![CDATA[
Dim ObjFSO
Set ObjFSO = CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog")
ObjFSO.Filter = "License File|*.xml"
ObjFSO.FilterIndex = 3
ObjFSO.InitialDir = "C:\"
Session.Property("SELECTEDRLPLICENSEFILE") = ObjFSO.FileName
  ]]>
</CustomAction>

This didn't work.  I got an error pop up, and the MSI log has this entry:

MSI (s) (4C:C8) [18:29:53:667]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated
custom action server.
Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A
script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact
your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action AskLicense
script error -2146827859, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX
component can't create object: 'UserAccounts.CommonDialog' Line 2,
Column 1,

Apparently, CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog") couldn't create
the window.  Do I use some other mean to create a dialog under MSI?

Kuro