Hi,

I've just posted the following comment to Rob's blog.

------
Hi all,

the first thing I do with an MSI log is to open with the Microsoft tool
"Windows Installer Verbose Log Analyzer" (WiLogUtl.exe).

One Problem is that WiLogUtl.exe support only MSI logs up to MSI version
3.0.0.0.

So if I have a log file from a newer version I first change the version in
the first line of the log file using notepad or any better editor.

As example the first line is
=== Verbose logging started: 1/20/2012  8:58:55  Build type: SHIP UNICODE
3.01.4001.5512  Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===

so I change 3.01.4001.5512  to 3.0.0.0 and save the log file. Now
WiLogUtl.exe will be able to handle the log file.
Just open the log file an press the "Analyze" button.

Now you get a "Detailed Log File View" dialog from where you could check
states, properties etc.

My prefered option is the "HTML Log". Allow Blocked Content is required.
Now you could use the buttons "First Error", "Last Error", "Previous
Error" and "Next Error" to navigate.
For better reading the lines are formated in different colors.

When jumping to an error you have to scroll some lines up to find the
reason of the error like Rob said in his blog.
-----

Cheers,
  Thomas