On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:57:52 +0000, Ian Williams wrote:

> So I figured out that I needed the license payloads to look like this:
>
> <Payload Id="some_id" Name="1031\license.rtf"
> SourceFile="path_to_license.rtf" />
>
> With the important bit being that the name is LCID\license.rtf.  The
> only way I was able to figure this out was by looking at through the wix
> sources.

You've already worked this out, but for anyone else who hasn't--when you
set the WixStdBaLicenseRTF WixVariable, you are just overriding the
@SourceFile of the license Payload that is implicitely included when you
add your BootstrapperApplicationRef; the @Name remains "license.rtf". So
if you want a per-theme license file, you have to call it "LCID
\license.rtf" where LCID is the locale ID.

The same goes for WixStdbaThemeWxl ("thm.wxl") and WixStdbaThemeXml
("thm.xml"). But when you have a per-locale theme file, there is one
additional caveat to be aware of:

> Looking at them makes me think that the "thm.xml" is also
> correct, but whenever I do this the installer doesn't seem to work:
> invoking with -lang <LCID with custom theme> does nothing and exits
> immediately.  Has anyone been able to load a thm.xml per language?

I am guessing your themes refer to "logo.png". If you don't include a
logo.png file in the per-LCID directory, the bootstrapper will log
something like "failed to create theme controls") to the installation log
and exit without presenting any UI to the user.

Either provide a logo.png Payload in each LCID directory, or modify your
per-LCID themes to refer to "..\logo.png" so that they get the default
logo.

BTW, I figured this out with Process Monitor from SysInternals. An
invaluable tool for diagnosing such issues!

I recently posted some of the other problems I had to work around in
creating a localized bundle; you can read it at <http://www.mail-
archive.com/wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg49035.html>. I'd be
interested to hear if you can add anything that I missed out.

--
Sam Morris