I have exactly the same problem:
In my product V1.0, I have
        FeatureCommon (always be installed)
              Common.dll
        FeatureA (optional)
              A1.dll
        FeatureB (optional)
             B1.dll

In my product V1.1 I added A2.dll to feature A
       FeatureCommon (always be installed)
              Common.dll
        FeatureA (optional)
              A1.dll
              A2.dll
        FeatureB (optional)
             B1.dll

Thus I add ComponentRef Id=cmpA2DLL to the PatchFamily, then I got error of
       Component 'cmpA2DLL' was added to feature FeatureA. If you cannot
guarantee this feature will always be installed, you should consider adding
new components to top-level features to prevent prompts for source when
installing this patch.

Does it mean, if I want to add A2.dll, I must have a new top-level
FeatureA2? Then I could I make sure FeatureA2 will be installed when
patching if and only if FeatureA is installed? Manually write several
pre-check?

Anyone can give me a sample of how to make the patch correct for this
scenario?

Thanks,
-Elfe