On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Christopher Painter <chr...@iswix.com> wrote:
> If you are really serious about simplying setup and making it bulletproof
> you should push back at your application developers and challenge why they
> need the hostname to be lower cased.  The code that reads the XML should to
> it's own .ToLower() if it's that important to them.

I am one of the application developers...

/me goes off to push back on myself.  =)

Seriously though, we store the x.509 certificate as a file so we need
to play nicely with case-insensitive filesystems.  While
www.metamachine.net and WWW.METAMACHINE.NET are the same hostname we
don't want to store two different files on unix filesystems if the end
user is inconsistent with their case.

>From a "time is money" point of view, it's a lot cheaper for me to
downcase the default (suggested) value in the installation process
than it is to change the behavior of many subsystems of the
application.

-Jeff