From: Christopher Painter [mailto:chr...@iswix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:19 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.; General discussion
for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Running a single MSI on the same machine more than
once concurrently

I've often wondered this myself and designed my installer per customer
requirements.

I agree, it seems wierd to have MSI state data on one machine registering
resource data on another machine.  Still, it does work in situations where the
person doing the installer has DBA rights on the instance but not SA
rights on the instances OS.   Othertimes I've restricted the instance name
for the connection to the local machine.

The only way I see to solve this dilema is to remove all database functionality
from the installer and put it into a deployment/configruation utility that can
then be run multiple times.  However most of my clients have said no when I
suggested this with sort of an attitude of "I want the installer to do it,
that's why I'm paying you... I don't have time to do it myself."

So I usually just make sure they are happy with what I give them and collect my
$200 when I pass go.

FWIW, I've developed a lot of installers over the years doing various
client/server and nTier systems so I have a lot of experience with this
whole thing called multiple instance installers.  I was writing them way
back as far as 2005.  It get's complicated because in theory everything is
abstracted ( any layer of an nTier or C/S system can conceivably be
installed by itself or with other layers on the same machine or different
machines ).  In practice, it's very complicated to do it right.

Chris