I started tinkering with this, and got something like this to work :

    <BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense">
      <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication
      LicenseFile="license.rtf"
      LogoFile="mylogo.bmp"
      SuppressOptionsUI="yes"
      ThemeFile="mytheme.xml"
      LocalizationFile="mytheme.wxl"
      />
      <Payload Name="myico.ico" Compressed="yes"
SourceFile="application.ico"/>
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

Some explanation below :

1. Some theme files can be found in the source under
src\ext\BalExtension\wixstdba\Resources

2. I hacked up RtfTheme.[xml|wxl] to come up with my own Mytheme.* -- the
schema is documented in the Wix 3.6 help file (as of build 2719 at least).

3. Myico.ico is used in my theme as a custom icon for the main window.

Staring at WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.cpp and BalCompiler.cs helps,
as does searching the source tree ..

Parkes, Kevin wrote