I fundamentally agree with you. However, building the code for a particular
platform is the easiest part of the problem. Keeping the code working
(since the platforms differ in subtle ways) is the real challenge.

Personally, supporting unsupported platforms is very low on my priority
list. I have enough trouble keeping WinXP support working (aka: tested).
That platform is still supported and *very* popular.

If you want to sign up to contribute the fixes and maintain WiX toolset
working on Win2k then I'd love to see the changesets. However, to be
completely transparent I'm not really excited about delaying the release of
WiX v3.6 for an unsupported platform. There are too many people already
looking forward to WiX v3.6 being done now. Thus if Win2k requries radical
redesign that's something we'd need to look at for next release.