Thanks for the info Rob! Below is what I found in the decompiled old msi, is
any of it relevant? And im afraid even if you point out what is relevant I
would not know what to do with that in Wix, do you know what I would need to
specify in Wix to make the self-healing happen for a File, Component or a
Feature? ... assuming I do not have to toggle self-healing at Product level
/ assuming self-healing is not all or nothing per msi.

<CustomAction Id="ERRCA_UIANDADVERTISED" Error="[VSDUIANDADVERTISED]" />

<Custom Action="ERRCA_UIANDADVERTISED" Sequence="5">ProductState=1</Custom>

        <AdvertiseExecuteSequence>
            <CostInitialize Sequence="800" />
            <CostFinalize Sequence="1000" />
            <Custom Action="DIRCA_TARGETDIR"
Sequence="750">TARGETDIR=""</Custom>
            <InstallValidate Sequence="1400" />
            <InstallInitialize Sequence="1500" />
            <CreateShortcuts Sequence="4500" />
            <RegisterClassInfo Sequence="4600" />
            <RegisterExtensionInfo Sequence="4700" />
            <RegisterMIMEInfo Sequence="4900" />
            <RegisterProgIdInfo Sequence="4800" />
            <PublishComponents Sequence="6200" />
            <PublishFeatures Sequence="6300" />
            <PublishProduct Sequence="6400" />
            <InstallFinalize Sequence="6600" />
            <MsiPublishAssemblies Sequence="6250" />
        </AdvertiseExecuteSequence>