It can be immediate if you schedule it after InstallFinalize.

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam Flanagan [mailto:l...@dyalog.com]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:04 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Accessing Regsitry Values from an Immediate CustomAction

Hello,

I have a wix based installer that writes some registry values using the
standard wix registry element a bit like:
> <RegistryValue Action="write" Type="string" Root="HKMU"
> Key="Software\Company\Key" Name="KeyName" Value="1"/>
Is it possible for me to be able to read these values from a *immediate*
custom action? If so when do I need to schedule it?

I've currently got an immediate custom action that is scheduled *after
WriteRegistryValues* but it doesn't seem to be able to read the written
entries: RegOpenKeyEx returns ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND when trying to open the
relevant key with read access. Custom action xml is:
> <CustomAction Id="MyCustomAction" Impersonate="yes" Return="ignore"
> Execute="immediate" BinaryKey="MyCustomActionDll"
> DllEntry="MyCustomAction" />
and the sequencing is:
> <InstallExecuteSequence>
> <Custom Action="MyCustomAction" After="WriteRegistryValues">NOT
> Installed</Custom> </InstallExecuteSequence>

*Other Notes*

  * In the example ALLUSERS is 1 so the registry values will end up in
    the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
  * As a result of the above the installation is given elevated privileges.
  * I've got the custom action's impersonate value set to "yes" as there
    are various pieces of user information I want to access from the CA.
    AFAIK this shouldn't be an issue as long as I only want to *read*
    keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which is the case. Any modification
    happens in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key.

*Environment*

  * Compiled using Wix v3.5
  * Installing on a Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1) machine

--
Liam
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.