We have an older product that supports WinNT4 (with SP6+IE4). The installer for
this product was built using WiX 3.0.5419.0. The last release was November
2010. We found that running the MSI file on WinNT4+SP6+IE4 appears to work
except that the user cannot get past selecting a target folder, because
clicking Next always reports "Installation directory must be on a local hard
drive" even for "C:\Program Files\RMCWin".

Just today, I rebuilt the MSI file using the same source and WiX toolset
(3.0.5419.0). However, this time, running the MSI file on WinNT4+SP6+IE4 gives
error 1620 ("This installation package could not be opened. Contact the
application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package")
immediately.

Both MSI files are marked with Schema 200, and the pristine WinNT4+SP6+IE4
virtual machine has Windows Installer 2.00.2600.2 installed on it.

Question #1: Any ideas on the source of either failure mode, or why it changed
when building with the same source and toolset but on very different dates? The
toolset and source are version controlled by Perforce.

Question #1: What versions of WiX can generate Window
NT4+SP6/WindowsInstaller2.00 compatible MSI files?

Quinton Tormanen
Software Engineer
Delta Computer Systems, Inc.
http://www.deltamotion.com<http://www.deltamotion.com/>