stewarth wrote

>> Just trying to add the vc 2010 runtime to my bundle.
>>
>> The installation files available to me on our network are :
>>
>> P:\Projects\Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.msi
>> P:\Projects\Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.cab
>>
>> (not sure why we dont just use vcredist_x86.exe...)
>>
>> I add these to my bundle as:
>>
>>   <Fragment>
>>     <PackageGroup Id="VC2010">
>>
>>       <MsiPackage Id="VC2010.x86" Cache="no" Compressed="no"
>> Permanent="yes" Vital="yes"
>>                   SourceFile="P:\Projects\Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.msi"
>>                   Name="Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.msi">
>>
>>         <Payload Id="vc_red.cab"
>>                  SourceFile="P:\Projects\Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.cab"
>>                  Name="Updates\VS2010_x86\vc_red.cab"
>>                  Compressed="yes"/>
>>        </MsiPackage>
>>     </PackageGroup>
>>   </Fragment>
>>
>> &
>>
>>     <Chain>
>>       <PackageGroupRef Id="VC2010"/>
>>
>> But when i build the installer i get a Light error:
>>
>> Could not find file 'P:\Projects\Updates\VS2010_x86\*install.exe*'.
>>
>> What is going on here?  If i substitute vc_red.msi for another msi
>> somewhere else, then it works fine.  Light just seems to object to this
>> particular one, and where is it getting 'install.exe' from?
>>
>> Confused!
>>

> I should add, as it /may/ be relevant, i do have an ExePackage in the
> bundle which /is/ 'Install.exe', but the two are entirely un-related.
> Also given that a different msi does /work / would probably indicate that
> this was irrelevant...

Still having problems with this.

I've opened up the vc_red.msi in Orca & the issue seems to be linked to
entries in the File table - i.e :

File: F_VC_Redist_Noninstall_Install_exe_x86
Component: C_VC_Redist_Noninstall_Install_exe_x86
FileName: 242622|install.exe
Language: 1033
Atributes: 8704 (MsidbFileAttributesVital |
MsidbFileAttributesNoncompressed)

So, the thing is, when Light processes vc_red.msi, it reads this entry, sees
that it is not a compressed file & decides that it needs to add this file as
a payload.  This FAILS because there is no install.exe file!

So - is there something wrong with the vc_red.msi file?  It & the cab have
just been unzipped from the vcredist_x86.exe and my companies old
installshield installers run it directly without any problems.

I can get around this by setting the MsiPackage parameter
'SuppressLooseFilePayloadGeneration' but this is deprecated.  I can use
merge modules instead, but dont really like this since the runtime would
then not appear in Add/Remove programs.  Or I can run the exe instead I
suppose, but I'd like to get to the bottom of what is going on here.