>> A simple VC2008 C program could do something like this, as a sort of
>> bootloader-for-the-bootloader:
This sounds like good idea. If the source for this was part of WiX and simple
to build (i.e. not dependant on lot of external components) we could implement
our own versions if Microsoft standards prohibit that.

Could the same be achieved by recompiling the code in src\burn\stub and then
extracting and replacing the burn engine using insignia? Or is the engine
integral to the whole process?

Neil