From: Gareth [mailto:gmor...@serif.com]
Sent: May-18-12 11:32 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] light.exe error when merging VC100 merge modules for
both x86 and x64

But you can install 64-bit dlls withoin a 32-bit package - they're just
files. So, we add a dll that allows the 64-bit operating system to
interogate our bespoke document formats in order to draw pretty thumbnail
previews. But this code only works if the operating sytem has the required
dependencies also installed.

I cannot install my 32-bit application in a 64-bit package as it will not
have it's registry in the expected virtualised area. I can install my single
64-bit dll within my 32-bit package though - just as I have time and time
again. And I used to be able to include and distribute both 32-bit and
64-bit VC90 merge modules. This has only caused a problem when updating the
VC90 merge modules with the VC100 equivelent.

Bob, are you suggesting that Microsoft have deliberatly sabotaged their
merge module behaviour in order to prevent what might be prceived as a hack
in installations that is installing them both in a 32-bit package?  If so
then how can a 64-bit operating system interogate a bespoke file format in
order to draw a thumbnail preview when it is installed as part of a 32-bit
package?

Cheers, G