From: Jerra [mailto:beddel...@gmail.com]
Sent: 31 May 2012 08:49
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] How to check existing installation (Install or upgrade)?

I have recently started the process of migrating from InstallShield 2010
Express to WiX.

I am at a point where I get the software installed or existing installation
upgraded with the same .msi but to upgrade I need to call the .msi from the
command line using this command:
msiexec /i my_application_msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus This will
solve the problem of getting the  "Another version of this product is already
installed" error message.

So if my application isn't installed then call the .msi directly without
arguments and if installed use the above listed argument. How do I accomplish
this?

I looked into setupbld.exe to have it supply parameters to the Windows
Installer but I failed to get any useful information whether it can do this
for me or not.

Kind Regards
Jerra

I posted this
(http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=201537) some time ago,
this was before I decided to move from IS to WiX but the same
information/requirements applies in large in relation to my new WiX project.

*How to make setup that updates existing installation?* I have read a number
of posts on the Internet regarding this and I just can't get it to work. Its
driving me nuts. Google "InstallShield Another version of this product is
already installed" and see for yourself.

OK so I have an application. It is written in C# using VS 2010 Professional.
I release new versions of this application (of course) which contain newer
versions of the executable and included resource files (*.dll) and other
files.
I use standalone InstallShield as I have had problems with it via VS 2010.
Don't know why but that is not relevant to this post.

What I would like to do if possible is to get the installer to update an
existing installation of my application, if there are no existing
installation then just make a new install. The installer should replace older
versions of installed files. In "Add/Remove Programs" or "Program And
Features" I want a single entry for my application. If I have understood this
correctly this should be a "Minor Upgrade". Is this correct?

Whatever I do I get the "Another version of this product is already
installed" message dialog.

In my C# solution I increment the version of both these properties :
Code:

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.6.25.7323")]
[assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("1.6.25.7323")]

so that the next version would be
Code:

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.6.26.5414")]
[assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("1.6.26.5414")]

The last four digits are not relevant and this I have read over and over
again. Only the three first digits matter.

In the InstallShield project I have:

     Updated the [Product Version] to reflect what is listed in the
AssemblyInfo.cs (AssemblyFileVersion) file for the executable.
("Organize Your Setup" -> "General Information")
     Kept both [Product Code] and [Upgrade Code] intact. ("Organize Your
Setup" -> "General Information")
     Created a new [Upgrade Paths] entry named "NewUpgradeEntry1". This entry
has the same [Upgrade Code] as the one listed in "General Information". I
have tried fiddling with the settings for the "NewUpgradeEntry1" using
Min/Max versions, not using them. Doesn't make a difference. ("Organize Your
Setup" -> "Upgrade Paths")
     Updated the [Package Code] manually and using the option "Generate
Package Code". Still no workyworky.

So by generating a new [Product Code] I get the installer to go through
although I get multiple entries in "Add/Remove Programs" or "Program And
Features". This I do not want nor do I understand whether it makes the
installation corrupt or the Windows Installer confused considering it is the
same installation directory/folders.

What the h**l am I doing wrong?

Links I have read:
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/He...MinorSmall.htm
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...higher-version
http://setupanddeployment.com/instal...lder-versions/
(and many more or less relevant webpages on the subject)

InstallShield 2010 - Express Edition
Version 17
Hotfix A

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.