I would recommend looking through that entire tutorial, as it's very useful
and informative for a new WiX user. In general, the underlying Windows
Installer framework that WiX uses does not provide any type of UI for the
installer, short of the "configuring" dialog that you witnessed. If you're
working directly with Windows Installer, it is your responsibility to
author/implement all of the UI screens that will be displayed during the
installation.

Fortunately, when you use a tool like WiX (or InstallShield, or many other
Windows Installer-based tools), this work has already been done for you. In
the case of WiX, the WixUI extension provides a familiar looking dialog
library that serves this exact purpose so that little effort is required on
your part. If you read further along in the tutorial, the section
Tutorial->User Interface->First Steps (
http://wix.tramontana.co.hu/tutorial/user-interface/first-steps) provides
some example WiX code (also downloadable here:
http://wix.tramontana.co.hu/system/files/samples/SampleWixUI.zip) to create
an installer with a user interface that is likely closer to what you were
expecting.
Frank Jenner