As you've found, Burn is not intended to be used this way. The old
setupexe/setupbld in WiX v3.5 basically does that. I'm sure there are other
things that do this. Not a lot too it.

Burn solves the problem of creating a unified installation experience
across many installation packages.

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC